Hippity Hoppity: 3 Easter Holiday Safety Tips for You & Your Pet
Happy Easter from all of us at Barks & Recreation!
This is an exciting time of the year: the weather is warming up, we are spending more time outside with our family, friends, and our pups. While it’s okay to let the kids run rampant after eggs left by the faithful Easter Bunny, it’s important to remember that the dogs and kids can’t share the same treats!
What you’ll want your pet to avoid this Easter:
Chocolate- Chocolate contains theobromine, which can be toxic for your pets. Milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and baking chocolate all have their own varying levels of toxicity and should not be given to your pets. Some symptoms of chocolate ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased thirst and seizures.
Xylitol- Xylitol is a common sugar alcohol found in many human food items such as peanut butter, candy, jellies/jams, and gum. A dog who has eaten xylitol might vomit, have seizures, or exhibit signs of weakness like stumbling and lack of coordination.
Easter lilies- While these are pretty to look at, you’ll want to keep your furry friends away from them. They are highly toxic to cats, and will cause some health issues for dogs as well. If your dog eats a large amount of the plant or its water, you might notice some upset tummies and dehydration. They’re a bit more dangerous for pets of the feline variety, however, with symptoms including lack of appetite, lethargy, and vomiting.
Please talk to your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has consumed any of these items or is exhibiting symptoms.