Holiday Pet Safety
As we pet owners start getting caught up with the hustle & bustle this holiday season, it's easy to overlook safety precautions for our furkids. Much like toddlers, pets are attracted to bright lights, shiny ornaments, & dangling tinsel. Did you know that many holiday decorations can be hazardous to your pets?
To ensure a happy & safe holiday season for pets, Barks & Recreation recommends pet owners keep these decoration safety tips in mind:
- Christmas trees are a beautiful addition to the home, but pine tree water can be poisonous. It's best to use an enclosed tree stand or cover open tree stand bases.
- Ornaments & hooks, twinkling lights, & electrical wiring pose great risk to pets by ingestion or contact. When pets are left unattended, it's good practice to unplug lights & any electrical decorations a pet has access to. Consider tacking down electrical cords, too.
- These are some poisonous holiday plants: mistletoe berries, holly, hibiscus, Christmas roses, & poinsettia. It's best to keep these plants out of your pets' reach.
Food can be another culprit for some common holiday pet emergencies. Please be cautious of the following:
- Dark & baker's chocolate: contains high levels of theobromine & caffeine. Animals are extremely sensitive to both, & ingesting either type of chocolate could be fatal. Milk chocolate, however, is not poisonous but can cause a pet to have an upset stomach.
- Xylitol: a sugar substitute that causes a dog's blood sugar to drop quickly. This can cause liver failure if not treated properly.
- Macadamia nuts: ingestion by dogs causes severe weakness in their back legs (appearing paralyzed). Dogs usually recover from these effects within 3 days.
- Bread dough: continues to rise after ingestion & can cause an intestinal blockage.
- Veggies: garlic, onions, leeks, scallions, chives, & shallots are all highly toxic to dogs & cats.
- Fruits: grapes & raisins can be harmful to your pets as well.
If your pet ingests any potentially harmful product, please call your veterinarian or a local emergency hospital immediately.